Whatever your reason for detoxing from marijuana, there are a variety of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) detox methods to choose from.
Whether you are detoxing for health benefits, to pass a drug test, or as the first step to addiction recovery, understanding the best THC detox methods for you is essential.
What Is a Marijuana Detox?
A marijuana or THC detox is the process of the body clearing itself of toxic substances. To detox successfully, you must abstain from using marijuana until it is flushed from your system or unrecognizable in a drug test. Depending on your body and how heavily you’ve been consuming the substance, you may find the process of detoxing easier or harder than others.
If you heavily or frequently use marijuana, detoxing could result in some undesirable withdrawal symptoms, such as:
- Decreased appetite
The cheapest detox option is to stop taking marijuana and let your body naturally cleanse itself of THC, which is produced by the cannabis plant and is the chemical responsible for the ‘high’ felt after marijuana consumption.
For some people, a natural detox is an effective form of drug detox, especially as there are many home remedies for assisting your body in eliminating THC. If you have time and are looking for a low-cost option, then these are the best THC detox solutions for you:
- Drinking water – The oldest and simplest of all home remedies, drinking water and keeping hydrated will help your body flush THC from its system. It will also assist you in maintaining good health. However, drinking excessive amounts of water does not enable the body to eliminate THC any faster.
- Healthy diet – Eating a nutritious diet high in vegetables, lean meat, and vitamin-rich fruits can support the body in detoxing naturally. If you opt for a natural THC detox, avoid eating greasy foods, high-sodium meals, sugar, or fat. These food groups can increase water retention, which slows down the detox process and makes it more difficult for your body to remove THC metabolites.
- Exercise – THC is stored in the body’s fat cells, so regular exercise is important for natural detox. Any fat-burning exercise can help to speed up the detox process. Exercise is also a great way to experience a similar feeling of joy that you may experience upon consuming marijuana as it releases endorphins.
- Cranberry juice – While it may not work as quickly as other THC detox methods, drinking cranberry juice will make you urinate more frequently as it is a natural diuretic. This helps to flush toxins out of your body faster. If you choose this method, be aware that store-bought cranberry juice is often filled with sugar and other additives which should not be consumed in large quantities. For best results, drink about two liters of cranberry juice per day alongside about eight glasses of water, drinking the juice at equal intervals throughout the day. Fresh cranberry juice is also filled with antioxidants that are great for the skin and other organs.
- Apple cider vinegar – Adding two spoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water has excellent all-around health benefits and is often used as a natural THC detox method. Apple cider vinegar has antibacterial properties, which can remove THC traces from saliva and urine when drunk regularly with water in the week before a drug test. Apple cider vinegar can even remove THC traces from hair follicles when used to wash hair.
- Lemon juice – Another low-cost and straightforward THC detox method is adding two spoons of lemon juice to a glass of water. Lemon juice has many vitamins and antioxidants, including vitamin C, making it good for flushing the body of toxins. Lemon juice is only effective for passing a urine test and usually just for casual marijuana use.
THC Detox Kits
In addition to the natural THC detox options noted above, there are a number of alternative detox methods that are popular among those who have an impending drug test and not enough time to do a natural cleanse. Detox drinks, detox pills, and detox shampoo are three popular THC detox kit options.
THC detox drinks are specially designed detox methods to help you pass a drug test. Although detox drinks do not always result in complete toxin removal, they usually cover the traces of THC in urine tests. However, they are not always beneficial if a saliva or hair follicle drug test is used.
Mega Clean detox drinks claim to help you pass a urine sample test within an hour of consumption, with effectiveness peaking at three hours. If you choose this THC detox method, you must not have consumed marijuana for forty-eight hours before starting the set of six pre-cleanse detox drink tablets and are encouraged to drink plenty of water in addition.
Detox pills are another effective way of passing a drug test. Toxin Rid, for example, is a popular detox method designed for people who have consumed large amounts of marijuana.
Toxin Rid’s five-day program suggests taking fifteen detox pills that contain a powerful formula daily. These detox pills work by eliminating the toxins of drugs from the body.
It is important to stop consuming any THC and refrain from heavy exercise if using detox pills, as doing so can slow detoxification. Toxin Rid offers a money-back guarantee on their detox kits for urine, saliva, and blood drug tests.
Hair follicle drug tests can be the most difficult to pass as THC remains in hair follicles for the longest time. Old Style Aloe Toxin Rid Shampoo is a popular detox shampoo for removing THC compounds from the hair. You should begin using the shampoo regularly at least ten days before the drug test for best results.
Whatever THC detox methods you choose, talk to a health care professional before starting a detox program, especially if using detox kits.
THC Drug Tests
THC stays in the body for a prolonged period compared to the chemicals in other drugs. The length of time marijuana can be detected in a drug test depends on the regularity and dose of consumption and testing method.
Even though marijuana is becoming more accepted for medical and recreational use in the US, it is still looked for in specific drug tests. Knowing how much time you need to detox completely is essential if you are detoxing to pass a drug test for work.
Below are some standard drug test methods.
Urine Drug Tests
A urine test will be taken for testing when a urine drug test is carried out. As well as highlighting whether marijuana has been used, a urine sample can test for drugs such as cocaine and amphetamines.
If you have an upcoming urine test, the length of time to detox depends on your consumption of marijuana. THC will show up in the urine test after one and three days on average when casually consumed. For moderate use, THC can be detected seven to twenty-one days after use. Meanwhile, heavy users can fail a urine test up to forty-five days after consuming marijuana.
Saliva tests are cheap, and the results are almost immediate. A mouth swab can show if you have used drugs in the previous three to twenty-four hours. However, this window could be more significant if you frequently take marijuana and have done so for a long time.
A blood test is the most accurate way of detecting whether a person has taken marijuana one to two days after consumption. However, THC levels have been detected beyond twenty-five days in rare cases.
As with the other tests, regular substantial doses of marijuana increase the time it can be detected in the blood.
Hair Follicle Drug Test
Hair follicle drug tests have the largest detection window provided by any drug test. As a result, THC remains detectable for up to ninety days after consumption. During testing, hair follicles are removed and taken to a lab. However, a hair test requires a person to have at least an inch of hair and takes much longer than the other tests to show results.
There are many ways to detox from marijuana. However, the best THC detox methods for you will depend on how much of the drug you use and how often.
If you wonder how to detox from marijuana, it may be in your best interest to contact a detox provider or complete a detox program.